I’m worried I’ve seemed a bit grumpy about tech lately. So, in an
attempt to find silver linings and stream some positivity from my
corner of the technosphere, here are some things I love about
the things I hate:
- It has all the best content-management systems. God only knows why, but it does.
- It gets fast results for beginners, and you can’t underestimate the value of that.
- If you just typed it at the command line, you’re 80% of the way to automating it.
- It’s the only programming language my mother has installed. And my
grandmother. And, basically, everyone.
PL/SQL (and variants)
- It has, hands down, the best SQL integration of any language. That’s
the only thing it’s got, but it’s got that. If your job just involves
manipulating database rows, it’ll be written before your package
manager has finished downloading an internet’s worth of ORM
dependencies. And if your program processes a million database
rows, a PL/SQL can finish the job before your ORM has finished
deserialising the first 10,000.
- Along with a few other, better languages, it’s a bit of a magnet for smart people right now.
- Mongo, Express, Angular & Node. It’s a really good acronym. I mean,
really good. It’s memorable and sounds cool & edgy.